New Train Links Asia With Europe
A new train line has launched, covering Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Georgia. The line covers over 820 Kilometers and accommodates freights in addition to passenger trains. Firstly, the line will be the first to connect Europe and China whilst bypassing Russia. The train will operate from Azerbaijan’s capital Baku and the Georgian capital Tbilisi to the city of Kars in Turley. Furthermore, It will reduce the journey time between Europe and China. The presidents of Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Georgia, as well as European Union representatives, attended the opening of the new train line.
- This article was written to educate about Train Travel and was made by Save A Train, The Cheapest Train Tickets Website In The World.
Details of train
Firstly, the train line was originally planned to launch in 2010 and then 2012. However, due to the line not passing through Armenia, both the US and the EU did not financially contribute and this caused a delay. In addition, the line goes through countries which previously had their borders closed to each other (dating back to the Soviet Union).
Secondly, the line which is named the ‘Eurasian Bridge’, will connect the economies of the countries it passes through. Chinese goods are transported from China to Europe on this line in as little as 12 days. Furthermore, the train will transport 5 million tons of cargo per year with this number expected to jump to 17 million over time. Additionally, this will make the port of Alat in Azerbaijan the largest in the Caspian Sea region.
Azerbaijan has not disclosed the full cost of the line however it is known that they lent Georgia $775 to finance the Georgian part of the line.
Kazakhstan has now established itself as the new ‘Silk Road’ with its increased freight activity between Europe and China. Historically Kazakhstan served as a connecting state for Europe, Asia, and India. The reason there has been a resurgence of Kazakhstan freight activity is that it cuts the distance of Europe to Asia by 10,000 kilometers. Furthermore, Kazakhstan has spent over $3 billion on its railway lines. This includes $250 million spent on the Khorgos Gateway. This gateway allows Chinese trains to transfer its goods to European trains avoiding the needs to change lines.
Quotes regarding the new train line
Firstly, Azerbaijan’s president commented on the train
The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railroad is the shortest and most reliable link between Asia and Europe
Additionally, the European Union commented
The opening of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is a major step in transport interconnections linking the European Union, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Central Asia … along the ancient Silk Road,
Buy train tickets
Since you are already here, why not take 3 minutes to find the best train ticket for your next journey? Wherever you are planning to travel in Europe we can help you find tickets. Whether you are looking to see the Alps of Switzerland and Italy or perhaps visit countries like Belgium and Hungary we’ve got you covered. Book your train tickets now. Pay for tickets using all most known payment methods
Do you want to embed our blog post on your site, then click here: http://embed.ly/code?url=https://www.saveatrain.com/blog/new-train-links-asia-europe/ – (Scroll down to see the Embed Code)
- If you want to be kind to your users, you can guide them directly into our search pages. In this link, you will find our most popular train routes – https://www.saveatrain.com/routes_sitemap.xml. Inside you have our links for English landing pages, but we also have https://www.saveatrain.com/ru_routes_sitemap.xml, and you can change the /ru to /fr or /de and more languages.
Search hotels and more...
- 7 Most Beautiful Waterfalls In Europe
- The Future Of Travel
- Top 5 Busiest Train Stations In Europe
- How To Find Left Luggage Locations In Italy
- Europe Train Route Maps Guide
- 10 Tips Staying In Shape While Traveling
- Top 6 Sleeper Trains In Europe For Travel
- The Ultimate Europe Train Trip For Beginners
- The Ultimate Guide To Tipping In Europe
- 6 Savvy Tips To Plan A Group Trip On Budget